Aloo Matar Poha is a simple, easy to make, quick breakfast made with flattened Rice, Peanuts, Onions, different Spices, Potatoes and Green peas. This snack recipe is quite popular across India and the cooking style of making this Poha is almost the same in different parts of India. Poha is the Indian dish widely prepared in the Indian States of Maharashtra, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat and Telangana and many other regions of India.
Poha is a staple breakfast particularly in Northern, Central and Western India as it is easy to cook and ingredients are readily available.
Poha is made by using either Red Poha or White Poha. Poha is easily available in a grocery shop and is basically flat, light fluffy dry flakes of rice. The thickness of Poha ranges from thin, medium and thick. In this recipe I have used medium range Poha. Poha when added to liquid, whether hot or cold, absorb that liquid very easily and quickly. It is important to use less oil while cooking Aloo Poha, so that Poha does not get oily and sticky and the end result looks shiny and bright.
Here is how to make this Aloo Matar Poha.
- North Indian
- Kadai (Wok) / Heavy Bottomed Pan
- Prep. Time
- 15 mins
- Cooking Time
- 15 mins
- Total Time
- 30 mins
- 2 Servings
- 1 cup Poha
- ½ cup fine chopped Onion
- ½ cup fine chopped Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds (big Saunf)
- ½ cup Peas
- Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 fine chopped Green Chillies
- Half a Lemon
- 10 Curry Leaves
- ½ cup Peanuts
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt To taste
- Oil for Cooking
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a kadhai. Fry Peanuts and keep it aside on a plate.
- Add Potato pieces in kadhai and add a little salt to it. Mix well. Cover the lid of the kadhai for 6-7 minutes. Fry these Potato pieces till they become crisp from outside, are cooked from inside and the color on all potato pieces is uniform. Don’t let potato pieces turn brown. Keep these fried potato pieces aside on a plate.
- In a stainer, wash Poha with water and sprinkle little salt and turmeric powder on the Poha. Mix well.
- Now in the same kadhai add Fennel Seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, chopped onions and again add little salt in it. Mix well and let it cook with the lid covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Poha, Peanuts, fried Potatoes to the kadhai. Now mix all the ingredients.
- Add Lemon Juice and chopped Coriander leaves to Poha.
- Serve Hot Aloo Matar Poha with tea / coffee.